Friday, September 15, 2017

If You Don't Have One I'll Give You One Of Mine

When my youngest daughter was about 10 years old she came to me one day and we had the following conversation:
"Mom, what are those lines in your face around your mouth?" 


I sheepishly replied "those my dear, are wrinkles." "How did you get them?" she responded. "Smiling. It's a sad fact...smiling too much gives you wrinkles." "Those", she said, "are the most beautiful thing I have ever seen. When I grow up do you think I'll get them? I WANT them! That would make me SO happy!"

No one has ever given me a sweeter compliment. And it changed my perspective. It's habit for me to smile; I can't just "give it up". But you know something? Every single time I smile now, I remember that conversation, and the smile in my heart matches the smile on my face; And I wear them both proudly. I'm not so worried about my "wrinkly" face anymore.

So there must be benefits to smiling. Right? Here are some to consider:
  • A smile is universal. It means the same thing in pretty much every culture. How awesome is that? No language barrier with a smile! 
  • Smiling stimulates our brain's "reward mechanism" better even than chocolate can
  • Smiling actually reduces stress and lowers blood pressure
  • It's a surprisingly powerful way to improve your life and the lives of others
  • Smiling makes your workload seem lighter
  • A smile generates more positive emotion inside us
  • A smile signals friendliness and encourages positive social interaction
  • Smiling builds your confidence
  • A smile makes the difficult things in life a little more bearable
  • The more you smile, the easier it gets to do it more frequently
  • Smiling promotes happiness and feelings of gratitude
I get it. Smiling isn't always easy. Some days or weeks or months or years  are really hard. But I know from personal experience, having been in some pretty traumatic situations in my life, that even a tiny attempt at producing a smile has some benefit. When I'm having a tough time, when life feels overwhelming, when I've "tied a knot" but I can't hang on, a smile is what I need. 

So, if you're unable to find your smile, call a friend, or call your mom (that's what my eldest daughter says lol!). Practice smiling in the mirror. I hear your brain can't tell the difference between your fake smile and your real one; it still releases those feel good hormones. So fake or real...let it out! It can't hurt. And when you're out and about and life is feeling pretty darn perfect, share your smile with a stranger. You never know..."it may be the only sunshine [they] sees all day!" (I'm not sure who he is, but H. Jackson Brown Jr. said that!)

Find your smile. Share your smile. It will make the world a better place!



I'm all in! Are you with me?


No comments:

Post a Comment