Tuesday, January 2, 2018

Had I Not Swallowed Pieces of Hell First...



I know I'm not alone, but looking around sometimes I feel like it. In the secret corners of my mind I sometimes feel bullied by the cruelty of life. Heart wrenching experiences of my own, topped with those of people I love fiercely, sometimes threaten to hurl me far past my tipping point into the vast bottomless pit of despair. And the minutes and hours just keep ticking away as if to mock my inability to withstand the force. One sucker punch, one blindside, one flattening after another, sometimes life doesn't even allow me to catch my breath; and the light at the end of the tunnel turns out to be nothing but another freaking freight train.

Adversity. It's real. And sometimes it's harsh. However:
  • Adversity is a true test of one's strength. In my most difficult experiences I have come to realize I choose whether to be defeated or make a triumphant come back. 
  • Adversity is educational. There is much to be said about learning from the hard knocks of life. I've learned so much about myself, what I'm really capable of overcoming, how to make better choices, and that healing really does take place if I'm patient and willing to ride out the storm.
  • Adversity can destroy or strengthen relationships. In my personal life I have experienced first hand the benefits of clinging to others who are equally affected by a trial, working to love, support and comfort one another vs the loss of relationships due to one or the other retreating into bitterness or denial.
  • Adversity develops patience. Going through tough times of my own, reminds me to be patient with others. Rarely do we know what other people are going through because we all have a tendency toward keeping things under wraps; you know the drill..."put your public face on, and "smile all the while" lest you become the uncomfortable focus of attention. 
  • Adversity teaches us compassion. When I hear of another woman having a miscarriage, learn of the separation in a marriage, observe the rebellious attitude of a child toward their parents, see someone struggling to pay the bills...my heart hurts for them because I've been there.
  • Adversity teaches us to be grateful. Tough times help me appreciate the good times. When life is rough, I'm so grateful for periods of time without struggle. I welcome the peace that comes after a stretch of discord or turmoil. Broken relationships, loss of loved ones to death or estrangement, deepens my appreciation for time spent with those I may otherwise take for granted. The cold and dark dreariness of winter makes my heart burst with delight for the warmth and light of spring. A bout of illness promotes in me a humble recognition of the blessing of good health.
You see,  had I not swallowed pieces of hell first, never could I have known the taste of heaven. It's all about embracing the harshness of life for the reward of enjoying it's treasures.

I'm all in! Are you with me?

No comments:

Post a Comment